Monday, December 13, 2010

Eurydice Speaks

Tell me not that you have grown old
and bald patches show on your head.
Tell me not that this is a cactus land
and all hopes are dead.

Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow


I do not accept defeat
I am not a hollow man
I have come over the lands of verdour
and green peace, rainy joys and silver love.
I bear in me the power to survive.
Come, walk with me.

Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherised upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question...
Oh, do not ask, "What is it?"
Let us go and make our visit.

The world shall not end with a whimper.
It shall not end at all.
The big bang may happen as we dream of a fair morning.
As we sing together a hymn to the Lord
for none but the unimaginable binds us together.

Take a look at the small flower that grows out of the concrete pavement.
Does it grow old? sick? tired?
It lives with all its strength and smiles.

I discard the coffee spoon you have taken up to measure your life
and hand you a bucket....
there is a lot of life even in the jarring cacophony of the dead.

Come, hold my hand
and kiss my cold fingers.
For I have come, come to tell you all, I shall tell you all.....
I have patience, you have brains, and understanding eyes.
I have come from the dead, I am Eurydice, come come come
My love....





No comments:

Post a Comment